Most students have 3 lessons of French per week and are set according to ability. Some students have less hours of French each week in order for the school to provide a personalised programme of literacy and numeracy intervention. All students will be assessed at the end of each term in the four skill areas: Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing, where a level will be awarded for each skill plus an average level.
Over the 3 years students will learn:
• About France, French speaking countries and French culture.
• To speak French whilst gaining an insight into how languages work.
• To develop strategies to improve their learning.
• To improve their communication skills.
By the end of Year 9 students will have studied the following topics:
• An introduction to France and introducing oneself.
• Free-time and leisure activities.
• House and home.
• Food and healthy living.
• Special occasions
New for 2015
We have been fortunate to secure funding to host a French Language assistant who will work with us for one year. She will work with small groups of KS3 students to teach them more about French life and culture and also to improve their pronunciation of spoken French. Our language assistant will also work with KS4 students to help them prepare for their speaking assessments. She will work in class time on a one-to-one basis with students but she is also available every Tuesday after school for extra help.