Definition of a young carer:
Young carers are children and young people under 18 who provide regular, ongoing care and emotional support to a family member who is physically or mentally ill, disabled or misuses substances.
Signs to look for in a possible young carer:
- May often be tired, stressed, anxious or depressed.
- The presence of an illness or disability in the family.
- May often be late or absent from school, and underachieving.
- Have difficulty in joining in after school activities.
- May be isolated or a victim of bullying.
- May appear unkempt.
Here at Redmoor we take the welfare of our students seriously both at school and at home. We have been successful in supporting students recognised as Young Carers, both internally or with the help of outside agencies in the past.
If you are worried about your child or another student at Redmoor please feel free to discuss your concerns in confidence with Mrs Buckingham or a member of our Pastoral Team.
Alternatively, below are some websites you may find useful: